Monday 5 March 2012

Seeking synergy through solidarity for social change, but how?

What an exciting time to be alive. 2012 is in full swing and I've been trying to consider the best ways I can use my skills, knowledge and experience to enjoy this precious existence in a way that is fulfilling, enjoyable and empowering for myself as well those I work and play with. Solidarity seems to be the key for me and finding strength and joy through the synergy we find through cooperating with others the essence of achieving these aims.

In order to stay focussed and motivated I regularly reflect on the point of being alive asking myself what are the best and worst things that I'm aware of. I consider the things which fill me with rage and sorrow as well as joy and happiness. I consider the worst situations I've been in, the worst situations I'm aware of that other people have been in and I explore how those situations can be overcome. I reflect on everything I'm grateful for, the various ways in which I'm privileged and how I can use these privileges in a way that is positive and empowering for everyone involved. To be alive, to have blood pumping through my veins and air flowing through my lungs, to have the capacity to act, to choose what I do next is an incredible gift that not everyone is able to enjoy to the extent to which I can. I am determined not to waste this opportunity and I feel constantly inspired and encouraged by those around me who are doing what they can to make the most of their existence.

My choices and the choices of those around me are however inherently limited due to the nature of living in a capitalist society that seeks to divide and conquer us, deprive us of the access to resources that are rightfully ours and exclude us from taking part in the decisions that dictate the shape of our communities and the lives we are able to lead. We live a world of abundance under a system that allows a minority to eat the vast bulk of the cake which is baked by the masses. If we're lucky we get the crumbs and it's a fucking piss take. I don't think that 'Being the change you wish to see in the world' is enough. The change I want to see involves people relating to each other differently without their activities, desires and lives being controlled by money. It would involve collectively resisting the ever encroaching logic of capitalism and the different ways in which it steals everything from us before putting a price tag on it and selling it back to us at profit. It would involve reclaiming what has been stolen from us over hundreds of years as well as collectively creating alternative ways of living that meet all of our needs and wants. It would involve a mass refusal and creation that would simultaneously withdraw support from a system that is killing humanity and stifling our development whilst also implementing everything we know about the art of living, learning, loving and flourishing as life on this planet.

How do we do this? There is no single answer. There are many different aspects of our existence which we can choose to engage with differently, whether it's education, decision making, food, housing, transport, art, media, it's all up for grabs. But what should I do? What should you do? What do you enjoy doing and what do you want to do? How could you do what you love in way that contributes towards the solution more than the problem? How can you do what you love doing with others in way that creates synergy and sends ripples of empowerment and inspiration throughout your communities?

Everyone's circumstances are different and we can all fight from where we stand, seeking improvements in our daily lives by organising alternatives with others whilst simultaneously resisting the restrictions that are imposed upon us by the state and capitalism. What I can achieve is nothing compared to what we can achieve together and by asking each other questions, listening to each others stories, thoughts, perspectives and opinions, whilst sharing our own in a spirit of mutual respect and solidarity we can begin to shine light on ways of moving forward and beyond our present reality. In order for me to fulfil my potential, as someone who is a product of the social conditions and people by whom I have been shaped, conditioned and affected by, it's in my own interests that you all fulfil your potential. We can only do this by acting together. By helping each other we help ourselves. So, what now?

What do you think are the most important questions we should be asking? What are the answers?

No comments:

Post a Comment